[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tragic News NFB

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 22:32:26 UTC 2010

Greetings, the below release describes an extremely tragic event which took
 place in our community today.  We appreciate your thoughts and   prayers
as we
go forward.  This story has been all over the local news  and bloggers have
already been making many ridiculous statements about the  blind.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

COLORADO CENTER FOR THE BLIND EXPRESSES GREAT SORROW

AFTER TRAGIC ACCIDENT

December 17, 2010     Littleton, Colorado

Contact:  Julie Deden, Executive Director, 303 653-5987

Early this morning, three students of the Colorado Center for the Blind
were waiting at a Regional Transportation District bus stop at the Southeast
corner
of West Mineral Avenue and South Utica Drive in Littleton when a  driver,
headed north on Utica, lost control of her car as she was turning east  onto
Mineral
and then hit the three students, one man and two women.   Emergency
personnel rushed the three to Littleton Hospital.  The man later  died due to
massive
injuries.  The women are in stable condition and  being treated.  The
Colorado Center for the Blind is not at liberty to  release the names of the
students
or further personal information at this  time while family members and
loved ones are being contacted.

“The students and staff of the CCB are in great shock and grieving,” says
Julie Deden, Executive Director of the CCB.  “Our love, prayers, and
tremendous
sorrow go out to the family and friends of the student we have  lost and we
are praying hard for the two women still in the hospital,” continued
Deden.
“At the Center, we are first and foremost a family and we will  love and
support one another through this great tragedy which has struck us at a  time
of
year normally reserved for joy and celebration,” reflected  Deden.

The three students were on their way to the Center for its annual holiday
party immediately prior to a winter break.  The CCB has requested
assistance from
Littleton city officials, and grief counselors are present at  the Center
to help staff and students address this tremendous tragedy.  “We  will do
whatever
is necessary to help our family through this difficult  time,” said Diane
McGeorge, Chairperson of the CCB’s Board of Directors and  herself a former
Executive
Director of the Center.

According to the Littleton Police, icy road conditions played a significant
 role in today’s accident.  “Our students’ blindness had absolutely
nothing  to
do with the accident,” said McGeorge.  “Our entire community is  reeling
from this terrible incident,” said Scott LaBarre, President of the  National
Federation
of the Blind of Colorado, the Center’s chief sponsor.  “These students
were simply waiting for their bus like hundreds of  thousands of other metro
commuters
on their way to work or school.  The  breadth and scope of this tragedy
cannot be expressed in words,” commented  LaBarre.

For more information about the CCB, go to
_www.cocenter.org_ (http://www.cocenter.org)
or call 303  778-1130.  The Center has been offering independence training
to blind  youth, adults, and seniors since 1988.

Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

LaBarre Law Offices P.C.
1660 South Albion Street, Ste. 918
Denver,  Colorado 80222
303 504-5979 (voice)
303 757-3640 (fax)
_slabarre at labarrelaw.com_ (mailto:slabarre at labarrelaw.com)
(e-mail)
_www.labarrelaw.com_ (http://www.labarrelaw.com)
(website)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential and
privileged information. If you are not the designated recipient, you may not  read,
copy,
distribute or retain this message. If you received this message  in error,
please notify the sender at 303) 504-5979 or
_slabarre at labarrelaw.com_ (mailto:slabarre at labarrelaw.com)
, and  destroy and delete it from your system. This message and any
attachments are  covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§  2510-2521.