[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hello everybody!

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 20:10:17 UTC 2010

Dick,

The cane is a blind person's eyes for traveling.  It is like if I  asked
you to leave your eyes home when you go out for a walk.  It is the  same thing
if you use a guide dog.  I was asked by one of the bosses at my  job if I
could leave my dog home.  I did not know what to say as I had  worked there
only one day and that first day I did not take my guide dog.   I used a cane
as I did not kno who was going to transport me or what type of  vehicle I
would be traveling in.  The services for the blind in my state  had made
arrangements with the place I was going to work at and I wanted the  opportunity
to explore with my cane.  The next day I got in contact with  this same
gentleman and told him I really liked working there, but you asked me  if I
could leave my dog home.  I told him, "That would be like asking me if  I could
leave my artificial leg home, if I had one."  I am upset he asked  me."   He
told me do not worry at all as he spoke to the driver that  was concerned
regarding the dog and everything was all set.  I have been  working for the
last 5 weeks and had no problem with my guide dog or getting  back and forth.
 A few real cold days I chose to leave her home as my  asthma was giving me
trouble and I did not want to have to go out and walk her  during work.  It
wasmy choice.  Since I work only 2 days a week  leaving her home one day
for my husband to let her run in the fenced in yardis  not a bad thing.  It is
bad on my part, but better for my health.

Encourage Willie to take his cane as long as he needs the  encouragement.
The more he uses it the mor confident he will become with  it's use.  It
will become so natural to him that it will become part of his  everyday life
and he will learn his independence with it.

Joyce  Kane
www.KraftersKorner.org  (http://www.krafterskorner.org/)