[Nfb-krafters-korner] Dawn's Den Christmas Stories directfromthe North Po...

AUDREY WELLNER rencraft at snet.net
Tue Dec 21 21:24:15 UTC 2010

Terry,
  Yes my mom had the luxury of being a stay at home mom (she worked only 2 short term jobs, but dad carried the ball and we hardly seen him because of his many hours of overtime). She sometimes read to me as a child, but we were given tons of Little Golden Books that were passed down through the generations that we learned from. We'd carry them around asking someone to sit down and read to us. We were encourage to read along, or follow the words as the story was being read to us. Way back in my memory I even remember my Hungarian grandmother learning to read a few words in English from the picture alphabet books.
  I also had a small hand crank child's phonograph that I played with for endless hours, listening to small children's story records and classical music.
  From this background I taught my son rigorously with these same books with many others added to the collection. He was more frequently read to than I. This had both good and bad results in his case. Upon entering 1st grade he could read at a 4th grade level and was asked to read aloud to his class frequently. This attention to his skill did not help. Back then our school system was not geared to promote a child with "special" skills in a certain field for advancement to another level. He quickly lost interest and felt he could let things slide to get ahead.
  So its great that modern technology has made talking readers available.There's such a wealth of information available to everyone through the computer, libraries and readers that one person's attention is no longer necessary, unless the human bonding remains a factor in the future of an individual and in my opinion that is an important necessity for the future of family life.
    Audrey Wellner, Secretary
    Krafters Korner division