[Nfb-krafters-korner] Dropped Stitches

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 15:12:30 UTC 2010

Linda:

Did you use life lines in the project?  In a large project like a shawl I'd
suggest putting in not 1 but 2 life lines and as you keep making progress
and feel your knitting before you remove one of them.  Once you are certain
there is no problem, take out the lower level life line and move it up.

I also strongly suggest that you get yourself the brand, "Clover" 2 packages
of "locking stitch markers."  Do not get split stitch markers they are very
different.  In the case you drop a stitch or stitches, even if you can't
work them back up your self, they will be helpful to another knitter who
does repairs for you.  If you feel loops just hanging out in space on your
fabric put a locking marker into the loop so it will not be able to run any
further down the knitted fabric.

You will be able to pick up stitches that have dropped, but in lace patterns
they are exceptionally difficult and they only help there is to keep
multiple life lines going.  Keep counting your stitches and even put stitch
markers on the needles so that you will know between each set of markers you
should have X number of stitches.  If that number is not what you expect
then you know there is a problem and in what section of your knitting it
went qwrong.

Eileen