[Nfb-krafters-korner] mobius? was: Artful Yarns Circus

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Mon Dec 27 14:27:26 UTC 2010

I don't know if I had the spelling of it correct, but I think Elizabeth
Zimmermann had the original design on it.  Basically it is a knitted tube,
large enough foryour neck &/or shoulders and can often be pulled up on the
head like a scarf.  The tube, however, is not just a simple circular tube,
you intentionally put a twist in it.  I've actually never knit one but have
a kit Louis bought for me two or three Christmas's ago that I never got
around to using because the pattern uses 3 different types of yarn that are
to be worked in stripes.  I was not crazy about carying the different colors
up the sides because I thought they could be pretty visible on something
like this project.  The kit is actually not a "true" mobius but worked as a
rectangle and to be twisted at the end of knitting.

.  If you have trouble intentionally twisting in your circular knitting,
then you can knit a flat rectangle, then when you get to the end you will
seam bottom edge to cast on edge, but twist the fabric before doing the seam
and there's your mobius.  I am not certain if a balaclava is the same thing,
and just a different name.  You can probably find free patterns for them on
the net.  The ladies in my prayer shawl group tell me they are very in right
now and they have them in lots of department stores.  I am not sure though
if they might just mean cowls and are calling a cowl a mobius.

Eileen