[Nfb-krafters-korner] Annette

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 23:54:04 UTC 2010

Joyce,

See if you can find out from your local VFW what color is preferred.  I will
be checking into that with the local yarn shop once we are dug out from all
of this snow.  Below is the material info from the pattern.

Helmet Liner Knitting Pattern Found at URL:
http://www.woolandcompany.com/blog/resources/patterns/helmet-liner-knitting-
pattern/

"HELMET LINER" KNITTING INSTRUCTIONS (Known as a "Wooly Pulleys" by our
Armed Forces)

 Materials: For the helmet liner, any soft, worsted (100 grams/3.5 ounces)
wool yarn that will knit to gauge, such as Cascade 220, Patons Classic
Merino or equivalent.   (The label should state that for size 7 needle, 5
stitches per 1 inch, and for size 8 needle, 4-1/2 stitches per 1 inch.
Approx. 200 yds).  Wool and Company has several suitable yarns - call or ask
for details.
Only 100% soft wool yarn will be accepted, because our Armed Forces are not
allowed to wear synthetic fibers outside the wire. Wool is inherently
nonflammable and won't melt against the skin in the event of an accident and
is warm even when wet.

Colors: ONLY tan, brown, black, charcoal, or combinations of these colors
are allowed by our Armed Forces. Marines strongly prefer desert tan!

Needles: Size 8 - 16" circular needle and double pointed needles, or size to
get gauge Size 6 - 16" circular needles for the ribbing
1 stitch marker.

Annette