[Nfb-krafters-korner] Help With Crochet!!!

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 02:04:16 UTC 2010

Great description  Susan.

Annette

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Susan Roe
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 8:30 PM
To: List for blind crafters and artists
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Help With Crochet!!!

Eileen,

One thing you need to remember between crochetting and knitting is that
stitch counting is not the same with knitting and crochetting.  In a round
of crochetting, you don't necessarily have to keep up a certain number of
stitches, a pattern is worked out with the shape of stitches, height of
stitches and the open areas between stitches or clusters of stitches.  You
can have a simple shell, which is normally a cluster of three dc in a single
space or stitch, which is a flat cluster of stitches, narrow at the base yet
wider at the top and that looks like a shell.  This allows for the wider
spacing for the shell cluster to reach over to the next open space for the
next shell, yet the top edge of that row feels/looks solid.  You can also
take that same shell cluster, leaving the last loop on the hook of each dc
which will leave three loops on your hook.  You then wrap your hook and pull
the yarn through all three loops which will draw the upper part of the shell
tight together and you have just made a popcorn stitch.  This makes a raised
cluster and then you usually follow that with dc stitches before and after
popcorn clusters.

I am working on a throw that uses a modified shell cluster, which is 1 sc
and 2 dc in the same stitch.  This pulls the shell leaning to the left and
slightly puffed up and when you have done several rows, one row of shells
puffs upward and the next row of stitches back across puffs downward.  This
causes the whole piece to resemble cobblestones.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net