[Nfb-krafters-korner] Yarn reference

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 04:15:57 UTC 2010

Cindy:

You can wash a bag that has already been felted, but on subsequent washings
the bag will then get washed like any other hand knit 100% wool item so you
don't felt it further down.  In other words, wash felted items  by hand or
on gentle, alone, and use cool water wash & rinse then lay out flat to dry.
If you specifically are looking for a drapey style bag what comes to my mind
is a hobo/cressent shape or a pouch style bag.  Check out the free knitted
bag patterns on www.knittingpatterncentral.com click on the free knitting
pattern directory, then click on bags.  When last I looked they had a huge
selection of free bag patterns so you can get ideas on yarns and styles and
how they are constructed.

A liner will also help give your bag structure & strength.  If you knit
something that is lacey & open then you'll probably want a lining so the
contents of the bag can't poke through the knitted fabric & slip out.

As for wanting a yarn that is less absorbant, I haven't used it in a really
long time, but there used to be a product sold in an arasol can, think it
was made by scotch guard and it was the one that gave a bit of water
proofing to clothing when you sprayed it on.  Not the one for anti-static
cling.  Again, its been years since I used it, but you could give your bag a
spritz prior to going out on a rainy day.  Its a temporary thing, not
permanent once you put it on your clothes.

Good luck.

Eileen