[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting question: Long Tail Cast Off

Dixie blueherons at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 01:43:54 UTC 2010

Hi Eileen,

No, it is a binding off technique.

The following are a couple versions of directions I have found on the web:

From: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATsum06TT.html

Elizabeth Zimmermann's sewn bind off

Break off a length of yarn around 3 times as long as the knitting and thread
it onto a yarn needle.

*Insert the needle into the first 2 stitches on the knitting needle as if to
purl and draw the yarn through.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/images/TT_CO17.JPG

Reinsert the needle into the first stitch on the knitting needle as if to
knit, draw the yarn through and slip the stitch off.*

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/images/TT_CO18.JPG

Repeat from * to *.

This leaves a cast on row that has an appearance that is very similar to a
long tail cast on.

And from: http://roxtalks.blogspot.com/2009/02/outline-stitch-bind-off.html

The edge of a long tail cast on is made up of a series of backwards loops
that resemble cursive letter e's strung together.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH8_PLJUxI/AAAAAAAABsY/azLJ3FWuxhA/s
1600-h/outline+stitch+drawing.jpg>
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH8_PLJUxI/AAAAAAAABsY/azLJ3FWuxhA/s4
00/outline+stitch+drawing.jpg

The Outline Stitch bind off is a type of sewn bind off that matches the long
tail cast on. If you're knitting a scarf, or other item that has both the
cast on and bind off edges exposed, it's a nice technique to have. (Note:
when I say this is a "type" of sewn bind off, I mean just that. It's not the
bind off known as "the" sewn bind off, which produces a different edge.
Incidentally, the tubular bind off is also a type of sewn bind off.)

The bottom set of blue loops represents the backwards loop portion of the
long tail cast on (the part created from the long tail hanging over your
thumb). The "heads" of those loops wrap around the base of the stitches
above them. At the top of the drawing is the path of the Outline Stitch bind
off, which (if you turn the picture upside down) wraps around the base of
those stitches. In truth, the loops wrap around one leg of one stitch and
one leg of the stitch next to it, so (as with grafting pieces together that
were knit in opposite directions), the bind off is actually a 1/2 stitch off
from the cast on.
Here's how to do it:
Work the last RS row of your fabric (assuming the smooth side of the cast on
is the RS). Keep the side just worked facing you.

Cut a length of yarn 3 times the width of the area to be bound off.
Thread the yarn through a tapestry or darning needle.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH0fvaXAkI/AAAAAAAABqo/PuBNH2wtSeA/s
1600-h/outline+stitch+3x+tail+for+sewing.jpg>
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH0fvaXAkI/AAAAAAAABqo/PuBNH2wtSeA/s4
00/outline+stitch+3x+tail+for+sewing.jpg

Hold the yarn above the knitting needle. Insert the darning needle down
through the center of the 2nd stitch ...

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH0fhnPl3I/AAAAAAAABqw/9z3hQPr4emo/s
1600-h/outline+stitch+down+through+2nd+stitch.jpg>
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH0fhnPl3I/AAAAAAAABqw/9z3hQPr4emo/s4
00/outline+stitch+down+through+2nd+stitch.jpg

..and up through the center of the 1st stitch.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH1JSdAgsI/AAAAAAAABrI/MOHskRR_1Ps/s
1600-h/outline+stitch+up+through+1st+stitch.jpg>
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH1JSdAgsI/AAAAAAAABrI/MOHskRR_1Ps/s4
00/outline+stitch+up+through+1st+stitch.jpg
Let the 1st stitch come off the needle.

Repeat across the row, inserting down through the center of the 2nd stitch
and up through the center of the 1st stitch, then letting the 1st stitch
come off the needle.

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH1JSeXxsI/AAAAAAAABrA/VTet_MHDpUc/s
1600-h/outline+stitch+1st+stitch+drop+off.jpg>
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH1JSeXxsI/AAAAAAAABrA/VTet_MHDpUc/s4
00/outline+stitch+1st+stitch+drop+off.jpg
Make sure you hold the yarn up above the knitting needle and out of the way
of the threaded needle that's being pulled through the loops. You don't want
to pull that threaded needle through the big loop of yarn, the way it's
shown in the photo below.
If you're just the teensiest brave and you can see your stitch orientation,
you can pull the knitting needle right out and sew directly into the loops.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH0fgir1vI/AAAAAAAABq4/SfC91L8i2a4/s
1600-h/outline+stitch+down+through+2nd+up+through+1st.jpg>
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scVJg-UMq4c/SZH0fgir1vI/AAAAAAAABq4/SfC91L8i2a4/s4
00/outline+stitch+down+through+2nd+up+through+1st.jpg

======end of pasted information=======

So, I am wondering if anyone has tried this technique.  I understand from
what I have read that it gives a very stretchable bind off, particularly
good for collars, or wrists where one would want some stretch to the
finished edge.  I thought this would be a good bind off for the helmet
liner.

What do you think?

Dixie

ECCLESIASTES 3: 1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose
under

heaven.