[Nfb-krafters-korner] Other uses for ZipLock bags - WAS: RE: update on ice cream making

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 17 21:32:41 UTC 2010

I've heard the same thing about using ZipLock bags instead of the coffee
cans for making ice cream.

On one of the Girl Scout camping trips I went on with my daughter, we made
breakfast in ZipLock bags.  You start out by arranging the bag inside a cup
with the top folded down around the outside of the bag.  Each girl would
then crack 1 or 2 eggs into their bag, and then add what ever they wanted to
to their eggs.  We had available such items as chopped onions, peppers,
tomatoes, frozen potatoes, crumbled cooked bacon and sausage, and shredded
cheese.  Once all ingredients were added, seal up the bag removing as much
air as possible.  Next gently squeeze the bag to mix up the egg.  Drop the
bag in a pot of boiling water and cook until eggs are firm.  The only
problem was keeping track of who's bag belong to each person.

There is a book called Science in a Baggie.  It is filled with science
experiments that are done inside a ZipLock bag.  For example, one is to put
a raw egg still in its shell in the bag, and pour white vinegar in the bag
until the egg is covered.  Leave the bag out on the counter and observe it
over the next few days.  Observation includes feeling the egg through the
bag.  This is then followed up by additional steps described in the book.

Annette