[Nfb-krafters-korner] OT accessible computers

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:44:54 UTC 2010

Computers cannot be sent Free Matter for the Blind. The provisions for
Free Matter are
very specific, and I see no prvision for computers. Computers are not
specially adapted technology for the blind like Braillewriters are.
They are standard items, even if they have special programs on them
(which, by the way, you can get by a quick download anyway). If people
abuse Free Matter for the Blind provisions, it will become harder to
use. Think, your library books are sent free Matter for the Blind.
Magazine subscriptions on tape, in Braille, or in large print are sent
Free Matter...if we lose Free Matter, it will be very expensive to get
Braille books from the library, and the cost of shipping a
Braillewriter? I hope everyone will try to keep to the rules very
closely.

As I said before, the computer I got through this program was broken
within three months. Fried, really. I didn't play lots of games on it,
nor did I download huge amounts of material onto it. I used it for my
everyday needs, typing up assignments and reading books via RFBD,
Bookshare, and other places, and downloading NLS books. The computer
was a total dud, and I would never use such a service again. I would
much rather save up to get my own computer that I can trust since it's
not refurbished and much older than advertised.

~Jewel
This is taken directly from the USPS homepage, under the title "DMM
703 Nonprofit and Other Special Eligibility," Section 5.2.1
<pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/703.htm>

" this matter may be mailed free:

"a. Reading matter in braille or 14-point or larger sightsaving type
and musical scores.

"b. Sound reproductions.

"c. Paper, records, tapes, and other material for the production of
reading matter, musical scores, or sound reproductions.

"d. Reproducers or parts of them for sound reproductions.

"e. Braille writers, typewriters, educational or other materials or
devices, or parts thereof, used for writing by, or designed or adapted
for use of, a blind person or a person who has a physical
impairment..."

And from the following section, 5.2.2:

"The matter listed in 5.2.1 must meet these conditions:

"a. The matter must be for the use of a blind or other physically
handicapped person.

"b. Either no charge, rental, subscription, or other fee is required
for this matter; or, if required, may not exceed the cost of the item.

"c. The matter may be opened and inspected by the USPS.

"d. The matter contains no advertising. Advertising is defined as:

"1. All material of which a valuable consideration is paid, accepted,
or promised, that calls attention to something to get people to buy
it, sell it, seek it, or support it.

"2. Reading matter or other material of which an advertising price is charged.

"3. Articles, items, and notices in the form of reading matter
inserted by custom or understanding that textual matter is to be
inserted for the advertiser or the advertiser's products in which a
display advertisement appears.

"4. An organization's advertisement of its own services or issues, or
any other business of the publisher, whether in display advertising or
reading matter.