[Nfb-krafters-korner] Kumihimo and Stick Weaving

Carol Osmar osmarc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 01:13:40 UTC 2010

Stick weaving is done with several wooden needles that look like pencils
with a hole drilled at the eraser end.  Yarn is threaded throu the hole of
eacch needle which is the worp.  Keeping the needles side by side in your
left hand you weave yarn in and out of the needles until they are filled
with yarn.  You then gently pull on the needles which moves the yarn from
the needles on to the worp yarn. You continue this process until the worp
yarn is filled.  This makes a wolven strip that can be used as a strap or
sash.  The strips can be sewn together to make larger items. My last project
was a purse that turned out pretty good I used eleven needles for the purse
and three for the strap.  Usually you would use about five..

I have seen instructions for children using drinking strawsfor the needles.

I hope this gives you a little idea of how it works.  If you have any
questions I will be happy to try to answer them.

Carol