[Nfb-krafters-korner] Where Do You Get Your Design Inspiration?

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Fri Jun 11 14:27:15 UTC 2010

< Terry had asked ... "How do you come up with new ideas or designs?>

Terry:

This is a question that a lot of crafty people ask and its a good one.  This
is really a question of where we get our design inspiration, and I think
that you've already found the answer weather you realize it or not.

Terry you did the best thing, by looking or feeling around your environment,
finding a design you found interesting and then went about translating it
into your plastic canvas.  This same technique can be done in knitting or
sewing or I suppose just about anything.  In my case, knitting, if I find a
design or motif I like then the question comes around to how can I form that
pattern with knitting stitches.  I don't design my own stuff that often, but
every now and then do work on my own originals.  I start by looking at the
space or shape I want covered and then figuring out how many stitches will
fit using a given yarn & needle size (gauge).  Then I start thinking about
what might look good over that space.  If I have a certain shape/pattern in
mind for the actual stitches, then I do a little experimenting to see how
the pattern might work out.  Often I'll feel ceramic dishes, or crystal
pieces, even the curve on a stair's hand rails can be interesting.

It's an interesting question and will be good to hear how other people work
this out.  By the way does any one use a "Chang" board for laying out
designs?

Eileen