[Nfb-krafters-korner] Warm Welcome and Questions

Ramona Walhof rwnfbi at qwest.net
Sun Mar 7 20:43:20 UTC 2010

Jewel,
You are bringing new work to this division.  I don't know how many of us
draw or want to, but you are definitely giving us ideas.   There are some
other blind artists, but I am not the best one to give you names.  I think
one is from Colorado or spent some time there.  Perhaps Diane knows how to
reach her.  I understand her work is quite good.  Angela Wolf, President of
the NFB of Texas is an artist.  She is a teacher and has a brand new baby,
so I don't know how easily you can reach her right now.  But she will be
around.

There are two other techniques you might want to investigate.  One is using
paper over screen.  Braille paper is good, I think if it is not too heavy.
Then take your stylus to make your lines and designs.  Of course, the
tactile part is down, so you have to turn it over to feel it.  However, I
understand that some people take pens and pencils on the lines with pretty
good results.

The other thing you may want to work with is good especially for teaching
concepts.  It is the velcro boards available from the American Printinghouse
for the Blind in Louisville, KY.  Both travel teachers and computer teachers
use them.  You can buy quite a number of shapes with them, and you can also
make your own shapes with felt or velcro strips.
We will all be interested in hearing more about what you figure out.

Ramona