[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knotted Quilts

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:49:12 UTC 2010

The recent discussion of a knitted quilt reminded me of a craft I did.
A teenaged friend of mine had a knotted quilt she had done, and it was
lovely. I wanted to do one myself, and was lucky enough to find a kit
at a hobby store that was having a moving sale. I got the kit for the
low, low price of $7 (the normal price is $30-$40).

Knotted quilts are squares of fabric (I've only seen fleece in the
kits, since they don't fray, but I am sure other fabrics can be used,
provided they don't fray...I imagine a fur knotted quilt would be very
nice). The squares are made larger than desired, then cut with strips
of about a half inch per strip. Then you tie the strips on one side of
one square to the strips on one side of another square. You continue
to do this until all the squares are tied together. It sounds easy,
but when you can't see the strips, it is quite easy to miss one. I
found that out quickly. My knotted quilt is still waiting for the last
row to be re-done, as I completely misaligned it. But the finished
product will be gorgeous...I made it to have each row be purple, blue,
green, yellow, orange, and red. The first line was that order, and
then the next line had purple moved to the end after red, and so on.
In this way, the knotted quilt's design is rainbows diagonally. I love
it.

Just thought I would share that, as the knitted quilt reminded me of
it. I never could do knitting, though my grandmother tried and gave up
on me...so, here's an alternative for those of us who simply can't
knit.

~Jewel