[Nfb-krafters-korner] Helmet Liner Knitting Pattern

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 19 00:10:21 UTC 2010

Helmet Liner Knitting Pattern
The below pattern was found at URL:
http://www.woolandcompany.com/blog/resources/patterns/helmet-liner-knitting-
pattern/

"HELMET LINER" KNITTING INSTRUCTIONS (Known as a "Wooly Pulleys" by our
Armed Forces)

 Materials: For the helmet liner, any soft, worsted (100 grams/3.5 ounces)
wool yarn that will knit to gauge, such as Cascade 220, Patons Classic
Merino or equivalent.   (The label should state that for size 7 needle, 5
stitches per 1 inch, and for size 8 needle, 4-1/2 stitches per 1 inch.
Approx. 200 yds).  Wool and Company has several suitable yarns - call or ask
for details.
Only 100% soft wool yarn will be accepted, because our Armed Forces are not
allowed to wear synthetic fibers outside the wire. Wool is inherently
nonflammable and won't melt against the skin in the event of an accident and
is warm even when wet.

Colors: ONLY tan, brown, black, charcoal, or combinations of these colors
are allowed by our Armed Forces. Marines strongly prefer desert tan!

Needles: Size 8 - 16" circular needle and double pointed needles, or size to
get gauge Size 6 - 16" circular needles for the ribbing
1 stitch marker.

Gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch with the larger needles.
Be sure to check your gauge to ensure the helmet liner will fit properly
when worn. Try it on. You may need to use a different needle size to get the
gauge. If this is the case, use a needle 2 sizes smaller for your ribbing.
Please remember that every knitter is different and every yarn is different.
Check gauge with your yarn and your needles before you begin to ensure a
properly fitting helmet liner.

Abbreviations:
k2tog - knit 2 stitches together;
p2tog - purl 2 stitches together

Neck Ribbing:
With smaller circular needle, cast on 84 stitches loosely. Place marker.
Join in round and work in knit 2, purl 2 ribbing for 6 inches.

Cap:
With larger circular needle, knit 32 stitches off smaller needle onto the
larger size 8 circular needle. Leave smaller circular needle in the rest of
the stitches. The smaller circular needle will just act as a stitch holder
while you complete the cap portion with the size 8 circular and double-point
needles.

Cast on 59 additional stitches, place marker to mark beginning of round,
join in round, knit even for 4". ("Knit even" means to knit every stitch).

1st decrease row: *K 11, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
Next row: Knit even.
2nd decrease row: *K10, K2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
Next row: knit even, meaning to knit every stitch. Change to double point
(DP) needles when necessary.
Continue decreases as established until k2, k2tog. After this, decrease
every row until a total of 7 stitches remain on the double point needles.

Cut yarn 8-9" long, run tail through remaining stitches and weave in.

Face Ribbing:
With size 6 circular needle that is still in neck portion, pick up and knit
the 60 stitches from the cast on edge of the cap portion.

Join in circle and work k2, p2 ribbing for 1 inch.
On the next row: *k2, p2tog, repeat from * to end of round.
Bind off loosely in pattern. Weave in ends.
(The original helmet liner pattern was designed by Bonnie Long, Knit Wits,
3419 Chatham Rd. Springfield, IL 62704. 217-698-6100. Revised 5/14/2008 by
Rachel Kristy. All rights reserved. Copies may be made only for the purpose
of donating helmets to our active service personnel. In any case design
attribution must remain.)
Mail Your Completed Helmet Liner To:
Wool and Company
Attn: Helmet Liners
23 South Third Street
Geneva, IL 60134

About Knitting with Company
Wool and Company is located in downtown Geneva, Illinois and is a full
service knitting and crochet store. We are passionate about all things
knitting and crochet. You are reading Knitting with Company, which is our
blog - where we have a little online fun. You can shop our online store
here.

Wool and Company's mission is to spread our love of knitting in a fun,
creative and informative way.

Copyright Wool and Company / Simple Gifts.