[Nfb-krafters-korner] Greg -Response to questions about sewing and woodworking

AUDREY WELLNER rencraft at snet.net
Wed Mar 31 05:34:58 UTC 2010

Mr. Aikens,
   What country is your friend in overseas?  There are several sewing and woodworking guilds and organizations that offer training programs to prepare your friend to assist in teaching people with handicap and disabilities. Please let us know more, i.e., the age of the people they are trying to train,as we have members throughout the US and a few overseas. Also, please explain the extent of the handicap and whether they are multiple in nature.
   You can do a web search for "teaching aids for handicap individuals".  I've listed the catalog I use before called S&S Worldwide, their address is www.ssww.com  They have some simple, easy sewing/woodworking projects that would help a person/class get acquainted with a craft to see if it is something they would like to try.
  We have a lady in our Southern Connecticut NFB chapter who is employed as a teacher and is very proficient in what she does, but has gone to school extensively to be certified and employed as a teacher.
  We have quite a few members who have different levels of visual impairments on this site who have stepped up to the plate and offered their knowledge in their own specialized crafting areas, i.e. beading, plastic canvas, knitting, soap/candle making etc. to teach classes via the telephone to other members who are visually impaired so as to better relate to special problems that might occur that a visual teacher might not pick up on.  It is very different for a visual person to accurately explain the nuances of crafting to those who are not sighted. That's why are ladies are excellent at what they teach. It takes a lot of time, patience and good verbal skills to accurately get a point across. You can also check our web site for what classes we are offering and join in.  www.krafterskorner.org
   Glad to have you on board,
   Audrey J. Wellner
   Secretary to Krafters Korner