[Nfb-krafters-korner] What is a Knitty Knotty?

Dixie blueherons at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 21:00:07 UTC 2010

A Knitty Knotty is a tool used in spinning.  It is basically shaped like a
print capital I, with the top and bottom bars running in opposite directions
of each other.  the top bar runs paralleled to the users forearm, The bottom
bar then runs perpendicular to the forearm.  .  .  The center post is where
one would hold onto the Knitty Knotty.  It is used to wrap yarn that is spun
and ready to be blocked.    The knitty Knotty is I think 18 inches tall, so
that when yarn is wrapped back and forth on it, the wrap of the yarn will be
36 inches.  This way it is easy to count how many yards of yarn one has in a
skein.    To wrap the yarn, one starts by traveling up and over the top bar
closest to oneself.  Then go down and under the bottom bar and back up and
over the bar farthest away from one's body, back under the bottom bar and up
and over the bar closest to one's self again.  This continues back and forth
until the entire length of yarn is wrapped onto the Knitty Knotty.

Dixie