[Nfb-krafters-korner] any bulky machine knitters?

Jewell Boll jjboll at excel.net
Fri May 14 16:28:57 UTC 2010

Hi Becky,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry.  I have been looking for someone to
help me with my machine for a very long time. Then I heard of this blind
craft list from the Wisconsin Office of the blind. What a stroke of luck.

I will tell you a little about myself.  I have Ushers syndrome which is a
progressive vision and hearing impairment.  I have light perception and wear
two hearing aids. I do pretty well hearing one on one, but find it more
difficult in social settings, thus I am becoming more homebound.

I live in Sheboygan, which is located midway between Milwaukee and Green bay
on the western shores of Lake Michigan. I love to spin my own yarn and have
woven two rugs on a 4 shaft loom in a simple twill pattern.  I hand knit and
have a bulky machine with ribber.  I am not sure if it is a singer or a
Studio.  I bought it in the late 1980s when I could no longer sew, which was
my passion at that time.  I never really made anything on it, because I was
not able to get any proper training on it.  I tried to teach myself by
reading the manual, but it was difficult.  I main problem is getting a piece
started without it falling off the needles. I also didn't know of a source
to get patterns. I hope you will be willing to guide me so I can master this
craft.

When I was in my forties, I knew that I would eventually be blind.  My
greater fear was not the blindness, but being idle.  I need to be busy.  I
am also hoping to find someone who weaves, because I am not challenged by
doing simple rugs on the loom.  I would like to do more creative and
challenges projects, but the problem is that weaving patterns are in graph
form and my screen reader will not read this format.

Please tell me a little about yourself and where you live.

Jewell