[Nfb-krafters-korner] any bulky machine knitters?

Dixie blueherons at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 16 02:07:04 UTC 2010

Hi Jewell,

I only learned to spin about a year and a half ago.  I too was looking for a
new craft since I was very much into embroideries before I lost my sight.
That happened  6 years ago.  I went from 20/20 to nothing basically
overnight, so had to make some big adjustments.  I had always wanted to
learn to spin since I was a little girl.  My grandmother had 2 spinning
wheels in her house as show pieces, never to be touched.  Well, tell this
kid you can't touch and you know what she wanted to get her hands on more
than anything else in the house.  So, the summer before last I asked a
friend who spins to teach me.  She raises Romney and I have been spinning
the wool I have gotten from her.  I have a few other fibers, but, have yet
to get brave enough to try them.  I have some blue face, some alpaca, and
some Samoyed as well as plenty from my Fidelco German Shepherd.  None of
which I have ventured forward to try yet.

I am so pleased though to find another blind spinner!  Here in Connecticut I
am in a spinning group, we get together once a month, and I am the only
blind spinner.   Although there is one woman in our group who has Macular ,
this woman watches me so she will have ideas of how to get along when her
sight worsens.

I see you have found that ray of sunshine Becky.  She is a machine knitter
and I hope to be just like her one day.  Smile.

Dixie