[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sock Loom Update ...

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Fri Nov 5 14:34:25 UTC 2010

Hi Folks:

Just wanted to let you know I received my KB (Knitting Board) Sock Loom in the mail the other day and now I'll give you a description of what it looks like.  I have not tried working on it yet and yes, the knifty knitter class will prove helpful in using the sock loom from what I can judge at this point.

The KB Sock Loom is a small rectangular shape made of solid wood.  It is small enough to hold in one hand.  It has a total of 60 metal pegs that are just like the pegs on the knifty knitters, except these are metal and the pegs on the knifty knitter seem to have some type of coating on the pegs.  The pegs on the loom also have the grooves running vertically down them and it came with a yarn hook/tool that lets you grasp the yarn.  It also came with a DVD, alan wrench & tapestry/large eyed needle.

The loom is adjustable and if you use all 60 pegs they say that will make an adult man's size sock, 50 or 52 pegs an average woman's size 8 sock.  There is a wing nut on the outer edge of the loom that lets you slide one short bar/edge of the rectangle to adjust the size of the rectangle.  The adjustment I find is easy to make and select the number of pegs you want to use.  The two long arms of the rectangle have 25 pegs each and the two short arms have 5 pegs each.

Now in the description on line it said this could be used with "Sock" yarn and here based on the spacing of the pegs, don't know that I believe it.  I think true, traditional sock yarn might be to fine.  In reading through some information I found on the internet yesterday, the on-line documentation stated DK weight yarn which is an entirely different ball game and much heavier than sock yarn.  So based on the spacing of the pegs and that tidbit of information, I think to get a nice quality sock either a sport weight or perhaps DK will work.  Based on my gut, DK might be a smidgey to heavy a yarn.  Again, I haven't tried it yet so can't say with total certainty what weight will work best.

Wish mme luck as I move forward with it.

Over & Out,

Eileen