[Nfb-krafters-korner] edging

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Tue Nov 9 16:03:40 UTC 2010

Hi Terrence;
Here are the directions for finishing the coaster, or putting on the edging.
You need a piece of yarn about 4 arm withs, so I hold the end of yarn in my left hand and spread my arms a little wider than your body, drop the end and hold the new length of yarn. repeat 4 times and cut your length of yarn.  It will be pretty long.  thread your needle and bring your needle to the center so both ends meet evenly.

Original coaster
Bring needle in from back of coaster in one extream corner.  Pull through, keeping yarn strait near finished work, until you have about 2 inches.  Pick up another piece of plain canvis, the same size.  Lay it against the coaster with the tail in between.  Do an over cast and go in from the back of the plain canvis and back through the same hole of the coaster and pull through.  Make sure yarn is strait and make your stitch, snug.
Over cast to the back and go through the plain canvis and through the coaster.  continue all the way around.
Turns, you will have to go through the hole again to make the turn.
Ending.
finish all stitches around the coaster.  make a small strait stitch between your edging and your first loop.  I make it strait across one of the bars so my needle is facing the back and then I slide my needle between the two pieces of canvis and down a few bars and out the back  Then cut the yarn and take a needle and push the tiny bit of yarn under the canvis.  The only thing you can feal, if you try is that od stitch on the frunt, but it is not obvious unless you look for it, because it is squeezed between other stitches.

Happy canvising.
I came up with this solution, myself.

terry P.

Theresa L. Powers (Terry)