[Nfb-krafters-korner] Color wheel function

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 01:37:01 UTC 2010

As I have been thinking about adding this function to the color identifier,
I'm getting stuck, so maybe others of you can help me out.

Eileen proposed that after hearing the color identifier announce a color,
maybe a button could be pressed that would announce complimentary and
contrasting colors.  Now this is where I get stuck.  Now that you heard the
color identifier announce these 2 colors, how would you go about finding
them?  Would you memorize what the device said and ask someone to find that
color, then would you use the color identifier to see if the color
identifier announces the new color as the one you memorized?  Am I missing
something?  Is there some other way of working this process?  Am I making
any sense?

At this point, I'm thinking that the good old color wheel with our new
fangled braille/tactile system might be the simplest and most effective way
of getting the desired end result.  If you have a sighted person or your
color identifier match the color of your original item to that on the color
wheel, then the sighted person can look at the wheel to find the
complementary or contrasting color that goes with your original color.  The
identified color on the color wheel can then be matched to the new item.
When I say item, this could be yarn, thread, clothing, fabric, paint, etc.

Any thoughts?

Annette