[Nfb-krafters-korner] Color wheel function

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 19:02:17 UTC 2010

Hi Eileen and all --
I wasn't going to enter this thread but I am now to a point where I need my
color identifier all the time, but in the right light I can still see even
fine gradations in the colors of my shirts -- if the colors are right.  So I
have a frame of reference. Now I have noticed that my color tester is wrong
on several colors.  For one, it has never spoken the word "orange'" no
matter what orage material I put under it. It will say something like bright
red with a touch of green or whatever.  In fact it goes into great detail on
anything with a component of red in it, naming all types of red you can
think of.
Another common error this thing makes is that for dark colors, it cannot
tell chocolate brown from deep violet or aubergene.    In fact, in its
assessment of all colors with a purple tint or hue, it will opt for calling
it purple rather than indigo or magenta.
But the most annoying thing about my tester is that it always gets the shade
of pink wrong.  I love any kind of pink or peach or magenta.  But this thing
will always call a salmon pink "fuchsia" and fuchsia it calls magenta.
I've always been very picky about the way I combine colors, especially in
clothing.  It has really been hard to depend on someone else to pick out
certain colors, or tell me if I clash.

A funny thing though: My dear mother has macular degeneration and has been
losing parts of her retina, although she is not blind as yet.  I mentioned
to her that my colorizer called brown purple, and said that her bad eye
couldn't tell those colors apart either.
The verdict? My color test is visually impaired...*smile*

Happy krafting.
--le