[Nfb-krafters-korner] Marketing our Crafts

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sun Nov 21 16:03:03 UTC 2010

I would love to hear about how others on the list actually sell their items. Marketing them is an important part of what we do, but something we struggle with. I am always looking for new ways to do it. I LOVE to sell beautiful things to people  who love them.

Here are three things I have done this fall to sell my own hand knitted accessories, and jewelry. The fourth thing is what I would like to do next year, if I can figure out how to do it.

1.) I have been in a craft-show or holiday boutique each weekend since mid-October.  This can be gruelling and unproductive if I  don't choose wisely. For me, I have learned through many trials and errors over the past 8 years, that I cannot do any show that is in a church, fire hall, or school. Those do not work for me at ll and are a waste of my time and money for the table spaces. My work just does not sell to the people who go to tese kinds of things. I hate the clutter of the "craft" shows and the hawking of the cheap junk that is there. It is just NOT for me.

I sell only at higher quality venues such as galleries, museums, country clubs, and really nice hotels. That is the only thing that works for what I do - found out through 8 years of doing shows all over God's creation. haha

2.) Face Book:  I am selling my work through FaceBook. I post photos of particular works, list the item description, and price and add "Email me if you want this."  This is working very well, as I am showing my works to fellow artists and people who appreciate what I do. They are my "friends" on Facebook, so we have something in common.

3.)  Email.  I have sent out some very selective E-mails to those in my Address Book. Again, I have had prior contact with the people there and have some kind of connection so it is not a cold contact. My E-mail list has my friends on it, and those whom I have had some conversations with, or business with.  I invite them to my show that is coming up, give them time, dates, etc.  I also include those whom I know do not live anywhere in my area because they can contact me if they see something they like and want to buy it. I mail it out to them.

In my Email I include:
    Name of Show where my work will be
    Dates/Time/Place of show
    My Website
    Website of the Show
    Connections to some photos of my work that will be         available at the show.

4.) Ebay:  I used to sell on Ebay for 10 years, prior to my sight loss. Now, I do not know how to do it but I want to learn. Does anyone here use Ebay for selling their arts and fine craft items. I do not have the skills technically to do it with adaptive technology yet - but I do hope to get that figured out in the future. My goal for next year will be to do selling on Ebay again. I loved it so much.

QUESTION:  Do you guys have any other advice on selling? Can you see any other thing that you think I could be doing that would boost my sales or get the word out more?

Note:  I have done outdoor shows for 8 years (while teaching full time at a college) and beginning next year I am discontinuing them, with just two exceptions. I am very weary (I am getting too OLD) of standing in the rain, freezing to my core, holding my tent down in the winds, chasing my merchandise when the wind gusts blow it all over the ground, etc.  I am very aware at the outdoor shows that people come to the show to just pig-out on the food and have no intentions of buying anytning from the venodrs who have paid an enormous price in fees, time, and bodily aches - to be there. These days, what I see is that the outdoor shows are nothing more than a prominade and a social gathering place to see and be seen.

Lynda River Woman

 "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Visit my website:  http://lyndalambert.com