[Nfb-krafters-korner] So cool!

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Mon Nov 22 14:16:20 UTC 2010

Linda:

There are some people that get weirded out when we as blind people want to
take a class or service and the teacher has not had past experience with a
person who is blind.  Part of the solution in working with people who have
not had interactions with other blind people falls on us to talk with
instructors & explain clearly those areas where we anticipate we might need
some extra help. We also have to be aware that because of our blindness we
cannot dominate a class and take all the instructor's time away from other
students in the class.  So it is a two way street and when we open
communications with the person teaching I think this helps greatly by
putting them at ease.  And when they see that the ability to see is not
related to our intelligence they realize we're as capable as other students,
but that there are certain things that require hands on or a little more
explanation than what other students require to learn the same thing.

I've had classes over the years with sighted instructors who have had no
prior experience in working with someone who can't see and they've always
been open to working with me and trying to teach me.  The only time I do
remember having problems was when I signed up for music lessons with a
person who worked out of her home.  The issue wasn't with the instructor she
was great, but with my transportation.  I had to use a service for the
disabled and it would either get me to her house super early or extremely
late.  So if I got to her work place/home early I felt like I was invading
on her private time and space.  Because of the timing or inability to time
my arrivals more accurately I stopped going.  It would have been much easier
if she worked from a store front and then I would not have felt odd about
arriving very early and just waiting for my lesson time.

Over all I've been very fortunate with teachers, but I've always been
understanding that they may not have had past experience in working with a
person who is blind and not sure how to go about it.  So I guess I've taught
them a bit to in the process.

Eileen