[Nfb-krafters-korner] Educating the public, was: So cool!

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Mon Nov 22 16:20:14 UTC 2010

Oh, Dixie, this is just nuts. I just had mine last week, too. I am 22 years
since I had breast cancer, and it was found through a mamogram, so yes,
folks do not put it off. It can save your life.

But, here is what happened to me recently at a local hospital.

I walked into the Xray Dept as I was told to do.  At the desk, I was handed
a form to fill out.  I smiled, held up my white cane and said "Well, I would
like to do that, but I cannot see the form or anything on it."  Nurse said
"Is someone with you?"  Me:  "No, I am alone."  Nurse: Well, HOW did you get
here????"  Me:  the bus   Nurse: "Ok, I will fiill it out for you.  She did,
then pushed it to me to sign.  Me:  Well, if you can put your finger where
you need me to sign I guess I can do that.  "Nurse"  Nevermind, I will write
on it for you."

Nurse:  "You can follow the pink line on the floor, and go to the second
waiting room now."
Me:  "Well, is would follow that line if I could see it. How can I do that?"
Nurse:  "OH, I will get someone to take you there."

Once in the proper dept. nobody had any problem with me at all. I did what
was requested to get my bone scan. Had a fun conversation with the techies
there, and left when finished, to go get my bus again.

Even medical people have NO CLUE what to do with US.  Lynda Ri9ver Woman