[Nfb-krafters-korner] Craft Sales and Futons

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Tue Nov 30 14:55:08 UTC 2010

Laurie,
Yes, these  two Holiday Boutiques  were profitable and I was excited to be
able to actually see something concrete as a result of doing the shows. Just
the check from one of the shows paid for the futon, four great linen
pillows, and paint for the room.

One of the shows was at an artst's studio, our 10th year to do it.  There is
no space fee, as it is a group of friends who just share advertising costs.
There is no duplication of crafts/arts and the people are hand picked for
it.

The other was at a country club. My space fee there was $160. and this show
was the 21st year for that one.
For this show, the artisans are hand picked, and no duplication of
craft/art.  It is also a fund raiser for a Salvation Army program that buys
warm clothing for needy children - in addition to the space fee, we also pay
10 percent of our total gross sales to the charity. This show charges $3. a
person at the door which goes to the charity, too.

One show I did in November was in a museum. The people pay $6. a person, $4.
for children at the door. This show is also a very good one to do and the
people wanting to get in are lined up outside and around the entire block,
waiting to be let in the gate. The entrance fee goes to the museum to help
maintain the buildings and does not seem to prohibit anyone from coming
since the crowds flow through for both days.

Lynda River Woman

What I normlally find is that when a show charges a fee to guests at the
door, we get far better sales. People come in expecting to be paying to
support the charity, and they are more willing to spend their money once
they have paid to get in. I do much better when there is an entrance fee.