[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 2 21:19:44 UTC 2010

Hi Eleni,

Have you gone to any crafts shows in your area and checked out others who
are making and selling any or all of the products you want to sell?  How
much are they selling them for?

Do you know how much material it takes to make one item verses 10, 20 or 50?
Once you know how much material you need for one and for some larger number,
you can figure out your high and low costs for materials.  Keep in mind that
if it takes only a half cup of something to make the item and you have to
buy a gallon, then you can only consider 1 32nd of the cost for that one
item, and you will have to make 32 items before you can recover your costs.
Don't forget to include shipping, advertising, business license, permits,
and other such costs.  Then comes figuring out how much your time is worth.
As a beginner, it might take longer to produce each item, and with
experience production time might be reduced.  Is it possible to make more
then one product at a time, and would this reduce your production time, i.e.
3 hours to make one product burses 5 hours to make 3 items.  What percentage
of your profits are you able to put back into your business?  How much money
are you needing to be able to pay yourself.  Do you plan to be able to cover
your monthly living expenses?  If so, what peaks and valleys do you
anticipate seeing in your sales trends?

See if you can find any small business resources in your area.  Local
colleges & universities as well as your local Chambers of Commerce might be
able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.  Don't limit
yourself to a business owned by a person with a disability.  There are
resources for small women owned businesses.

Good luck!
Annette