[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts

Eleni Vamvakari magkisa83 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 00:59:25 UTC 2010

Hi Greg,

I know that my family is willing to help me as far as sending things
to the post office so that won't be a problem.  On the off chance that
they're unavailable, I could ask a trusted friend.  As far as craft
shows, I would need to work on that in advance.  I might have my
boyfriend, a family member or a friend take me.  I'm actually planning
on starting this business with a friend.  The reason why I didn't
mention this is because I'm sure it will create even more of a
headache come tax time and I wanted the basics answered first.  She's
visually-impaired, not totally blind like me, so could help with some
of the more challenging aspects of creating these things until I feel
more comfortable.  She's on SSD, so I'm not sure if she qualifies for
the PASS or if it's only for those on SSI, if we could make a plan
together or if I would be better off applying as an individual and
listing her as an employee.  I don't want to do anything that might
cause trouble in the longrun.  At any rate, I'm sure that we could put
our heads together when it comes to some of the calculations.  There
is also software that can help us keep track of purchases, costs of
shipping and materials, income earned etc.  But I think that when it
really comes time to crunch the numbers, we'll go to an accountant.
You're absolutely right about yard sales and the like, which is why I
would always attend one with someone sighted who has a good eye for
catching these crooks.  I don't consider this discouragement at all.
In fact, I'm very greatful that you're taking the time to explain all
of this to me.  The more I learn the better.  I sincerely hope that
this isn't going too offtopic, but perhaps the advice that I get and
the questions that I ask could help someone else who's interested in
starting a business in crafts.

Thanks,
Eleni