[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sun Oct 3 15:35:22 UTC 2010

I agree  with the quality issue.  I like good stuff, not cheaply made with
infirior materials or poor workmanship.  However, from my experience people
that go to a lot of these craft type shows look at it more as a day's outing
for them & the family.  A lot of people will look and say how pretty I
really like it, but when they hear or see the price will walk away.  At a
lot of the craft shows, people will do a lot of window shopping, then go to
the food tent and spend money eating but not buying the hand made goods.  I
think the basic way of viewing hand made crafts is strictly by price.  They
thing they can go to the local Fileen's Basement, Marshal's or T.J. Max
stores and get similarly made things at half the price.  While half the
price is correct, they won't find the same quality workmans ship & materials
is put into the mass-produced items.

Just entering a crafts show is expensive now a days and when you figure in
all the stuff you then need for displaying your goods, the costs of your
materials & time when you don't sell the stuff its a huge financial loss
when your not selling cheap junk.

Eileen