[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts craft shows

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sun Oct 3 18:32:00 UTC 2010

I was sitting here beading on a very bigh project, an encrusted medieval
collar necklace that has taken me three years to do, buecause I lost my
sight before I had it finished, and just this past few months I am now able
to continue on with it and complete...thanks to the encouragement of people
here who ARE doing whatever they want to do and give us the guidance and
encouragement that we too can continue to do things.
Anways, I love Joyce's comment about NOT reducing anything you have at the
end of the day. First of all, can you imagine how P***ed off you would be if
you were a morning customer and bouth something for $20 and now walk by the
booth and see the same thing for $10??? You would have lost your customer
forever, and you probably would have to give the first person back a refund
because they would be so furious. And you would have taken away your own
integrity forever.

But, I am also thinking about something that is important to me because I
sell jewelry that is made from real stuff - no cheap clasps, wire, or fake
anything...all the good stuff you cannot buy in a JoAnns or Michaels-

I DRESS to fit my product. Do you think I could sell anything if I was
wearing a T-shirt and Jeans???? No Way, I dress like the woman I plan to
sell my jewelry to - I wear a lovely hat if suitable, and I am careful to
match my clothing and look very elegant - I want to look at good as the
beautiful jewelry I am selling. If it is an outdoor show, I wear my jeans
till I get things set up - then I go to a restroom and put on my outfit for
the day.  I always DRESS well and it makes people feel good just to see me
because I feel good about ME and what I make to sell.

I have two friends who make soap and lotions. One dresses in her usually
medieval style of clothing - she is a member of SCA, and she always dresses
very well with shawls and long skirts, and her hair is long and beautiful.
Her soap is packaged so beautiful you just want to hold it in your hands -
it is wrapped in wonderful fabrics and tied with lovely ribbons -

The other soap maker I know is a modern well-heeled woman. She looks like
she is dressed to the 9s at all times when she is out there with her lovely
soaps. She has samples open for people to use he creams so test the smells
and to see how luxurious they feel on the skin.
She wears beautiful and expensive jewelry that is hand  made to advertist
the jewelry of other vendors like me, and her clothes are always very nice.

How you look is very important to what you are selling. It reflects your own
aesthetic, and the quality of what you make. Don't overlook the importance
of appearance when selling your items. Your appearance, as well as your
people skills are what helps to make you get good sales. ok, back to my
beadwork...bye for now. Lynda
Lynda Lambert
River Road Studio, Since 1976
www.lyndalambert.com