[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts craft shows

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Oct 3 18:54:09 UTC 2010

Linda,

You put a big smile on my face.  When I was sighted and strong in  doing
the craft show circuit I made clown dolls.  I would go to a show with  like 50
to 75 dolls and no two were alike.  Each of them I hand embroidered  the
faces uniquely to match the calico fabrics I would dress them up in.   The
body and faces arms and part of the legs were made out of a cotton white  sock.
 I had gone down to New Yourk City to locate a distributor that I  could
purchase them in bulk and that were a good quality sock.  Their main  office
was in one of those skyscrapers on 5th Avenue.  I would mix and  match
fabrics most popular for babies were rosebuds like pink rosebud fabric  with a
collar, shoes and brim of hat being the tiny pink gingham.  Well  when I did
shows I would always dress up in my clown outfit and yes, I had  repeat
customers and got to be known as the clown lady.  I wholesaled my  clowns and they
were in maternity shops, gift shops children stores and craft  shops that
sold hand crafted items.  I also had them in 2 different party  businesses
that were popular in Connecticut at that time of my life.

I had 3 people working for me when I was doing it.  I payed someone to  sew
the outfits, I did all the cutting, I had my Mom helping sew the outfit and
 I had someone that would help me stuff the bodies and arms.  I don't know
how many I made of these precious clowns in the 8 years I worked at doing
it,  but I hate to tell you I never made and kept one for myself.  Don't feel
 too bad about that as I made one for my Grandma who taught me crafting and
when  she died it went to my Mom and has a chair it sits in over at her
house.   When Mom is no longer I will get my clown.

Joyce  Kane
www.KraftersKorner.org  (http://www.krafterskorner.org/)