[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Mon Oct 4 13:24:39 UTC 2010

Audrey, what a wealth of good information here. Yes, indeed, I have had
people ask to photograph my necklaces "for a pattern that I can make"
myself.  I said NO, I do not permit photographs. But if they have a phone
with them you never know what they ARE photographing.

Doing craft shows is a tough business and there are a zillion other ways to
make money that are much less stressful.  But, I still have the little girl
inside of me that finds doing the shows "fun" even when things are not going
well, which can be often.  It is gruelling work, and you get a lot of nasty
people, not to mention idiots who allow their kids to rummage through your
stuff - or brin sloppy food into your booth, that is when I get nasty and
chase them off. I will hear mothers say to their daughters, "Look honey, you
can go home and make this, too."  Yeah, right on girlie!!!  And, how about
the ladies or couples pushing baby strollers who stop in FRONT of your booth
to have long conversations with other parents with kids and strollers????
And, two things I absolutely avoid is having my space anywhere near a food
vendor or a bathroom. If you want to be completely invisible just try doing
business in those places. Yikes!
Lynda Lambert
River Road Studio, Since 1976
www.lyndalambert.com