[Nfb-krafters-korner] Starting a Business in Crafts

Laurie Porter freespirit1 at tds.net
Mon Oct 4 21:33:15 UTC 2010

Hi:

I have been selling my jewlery now for over 15 years.  You certainly ask
alot of questions.  I wonder if you can tell me what made you decide to do
this and do yu have any experience with your soaps and cosmetics you've
made? For example, have you made them for people and gave them as gifts or
something like that. I ask this only because I have learned through my own
business and have watched others of my fellow vendors many of whom are soap
makers and basket weavers  and the one thing we all have in common is that
we work long hard hours in this business.

Let me give a bit of my  background.   My husband and business partner  and
I run a company called wildlife
preserves. We make over 85 varieties of jams jellies butters and fruit
spreads as well as a host of dried goods and spice blends. I also sell my
beaded jewlery creations. We are in the middle of our 15th year in the
business. We  sell our products at 4 local farmers markets and I do a few
craft shows that
I have time for. I also have  some of my beaded jewlery in a few retail
locations. My husband also manages 2 of the markets and he is in charge of
many vendors. We get calls all year long from people wanting to come andsell
at our markets. Many of whom he has to tturn away.
the first thing I can tell you and this might answer your question of how to
sell your items in a crisis economy.  the first thing is that hand made
soaps and basket weavers are everywhere. Everyone is now looking for extra
ways to make a few bucks, and the crafting world has been saturated.

The only thing that has kept both me and my fellow vendor's heads above
water is a combination of uniqueness of product and diversity in our ability
to get there as a business. For 8 months of the year, I work 12 to 14 hour
days with only a few hours off once in a while and I am as happy  as I can
be about it. My work is my     pashon, but pashon alone does not put dinner
on the table. One thing that makes most crafting businesses fail is the lack
of understanding of how to run a  successful bisnesss. If you want to get
the best out of your rehabilitation experience in order to achieve the goal
of perhaps eventually getting off social securitiy, I would enroll in a
small business program at a technical school or junior college in your area.
If  that is not a practical thing to do than maybe you can find small
business seminars. there also is a variety of webinars and other internet
resources on how to write business plans.  There is gobs of craft report and
craft business publications available on the internet free of charge. You
can find them on the crafting sites  and forums you visit most, ring hubs,
and make google your new best friend. You can ask your councilor to help
with the cost of some of the small business seminars. Based on some of your
questions, it sounds like the more research you do on your perspective
products, the better it will be for you to find more financial support.

the first thing I did was research my perspective product thoroughly. I
first read any website, publication, and book I had ac cess to online and I
spent a bit on supplies and for at least  a full year, I played. I made lots
of beaded creations, some of which are hidden in a dark corner of my closet
and as first attempts may never see the light of day again  lol. Most of
what I did took very little money. It took the one thing I had at the time
and that was time. I had time on my hands and I put it to good use. I made
learning about crafting my full time job.

I was fortunate enough to have David who has previous experience in running
a business as he comes from several generations of small family farming.
However, I availed myself of another resource I had near me and that was the
other blind people I had contact with who run vending stands and cafeterias.
they may not know much about crafting, but they are trained to know
everything about business. I do not know if you are near  an  NFB chapter in
your state, but if you are than most likely you will find one of these
vendors who are enrolled in the vending program.
They told me lots of things like how to get my own tax number. How to work
with holesale and retail distributors. But it sounds like you aren't quite
there yet. Just take it one step at a time. I'd like nothing better than to
see another blind person gainfully employed in his/her own small business.