[Nfb-krafters-korner] sock looms

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sat Oct 16 18:43:55 UTC 2010

Joyce:

I'm at a point in my knitting where I've become greatly interested in socks
... something I never thought I'd have an interest in.  As of last winter,
I've been holding onto and meaning to start a pattern for bed socks that I'm
going to try working using magic loop and possibly the two at a time
technique on size 9 needles.  I first need to review my pattern before I
decide how to move forward with the heavier first pair of socks.  A few
weeks back, also preparing for my sock knitting through KnitPicks, I bought
some of their Harmoney fixed circulars in sizes 0, 1, & 2 with some of their
stroll yarn.  Today, I bought the lion brand yarn which just like knit picks
is listed as having 75% wool & 25 nylon.  Actually, the KnitPicks was Merino
and I'd have to go back to see if the LB is merino or just generic "wool."
The knitpicks stroll is lovely, soft, but the yardage is not as good as the
LB.  Both the LB & the Knitpicks sock yarns are fingering, baby weight
yarns.  I think I will be okay with them just a bit of an adjustment and
getting use to how it feels working with the finer yarns.  I have done baby
weight in the past and worked it on a size 2 & 3 needles, but didn't realize
what it all meant because I was a very new knitter when I bought that yarn.

I Will let you know how it goes once I start on them.  I'm just trying to
clear off some other unfinished items before I begin brand new projects!!
Will also try and give a review of the knitting board sock loom once I
receive it.  I'm planning on taking the knifty knitter hat class and am
hoping that will also help with the sock loom.

Eileen