[Nfb-krafters-korner] sock looms

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sat Oct 16 19:01:24 UTC 2010

OK I justchecked out the sock loom thingy and I got some more info for
you.  The extra fine sock loom is good for the sock yarn.  It will  give you
the gauge of 8 stitches per inche using the described knit stitch on  the
website.[not the e wrap method]  Sock yarn has a gauge of about 8 1/2  stitches
per inche knit on the size 1 or 2 needles and that is a tight  stitch.  The
idea of so many pegs on this loom is the fact you will be  making 2 socks at
one time.

These looms are suppose to be hand made as if you order a set of them they
tell you it will take 2 - 3 weeks for delivery.

Now I need to say going back I had one of these looms made up for me by
totally another place.  I wanted to be able to use the sock weight yarn on
it.  So it was made out of wood and they put 2 sets of nails, one on each
side of the loom.  Think top and bottom of circle flat piece of wood.   One
side nails very close together.  It was a bit of a disaster .   Since the nails
were on both surface side of the loom I could not put it down  without the
yarn getting tangled into the nails.  I never did get to the  part of doing
the heel and there is a way of turning a heel with one of  these.

I will consider getting one of these looms and giving it a try.  I  like
the fact that it comes in the 2 sizes so you can use sock yarn.  I  like that
it has a wood base and plastic pegs.  I need to save my money for  the
holiday kid shopping so I probably will not get one prior to xmas.

Joyce  Kane
www.KraftersKorner.org  (http://www.krafterskorner.org/)