[Nfb-krafters-korner] Dealing with Yarn Sta

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Wed Oct 27 23:50:37 UTC 2010

Witness here!  Yes, Amen

Here is how I have my yarn stashed, mostly.
I bough pull out drawer containers at Dollar General for about $6.00 each.
My husband built shelves on my walls in my office.  Each shelf will hold
three of the drawers across horizontally.My wall holds 21 of the drawer
containers.

I have some peripheral vision, so I can see contrasts, but nothing in detail
and nothing clearly, and not much color. I made large labels that are as big
as the drawer - used white paper and used the Big Mamma marker - labeled
each drawer, such as "Socks" "Mohair" "Dishcloth" Noro (My favorite, so I
have three Noro drawers) and like that. /Ths works really well for me.

In addition to this, I have some of the large totes you mentioned. Also have
some nice basket type of storage things that stack on each other, and have
matching lids. Three to the stack.  Plus, I have yarn in a yarn basket, all
in baggies and each baggie has yarn for a future item I plan to knit.

My needles are all stored in ONE place. A container that fits onto the
shelves - I have a second set of shelves on a different wall in my office.
These shelves hold the flat containers that were probably meant for cup
cakes.  They were at Dollar General, too, and about $3.99 each.

In each of those containers is ONE PROJECT - everything I need for that
project.

On this second wall, there is a shelving unit that has five shelves, up to
the ceiling.  This unit holds all the cupcake type of containers, and some
other larger containers.

That is how I store my stash.  I know I could probably knit from my stash
for the next five years if I put my mind to doing it and quit caving in to
my desires to purchase MORE yarn.

This is why I want to de-stash over the next year and see what I can
actually accomplish with it. I think it will be really fun and enlightening
to do this -

Lynda