[Nfb-krafters-korner] Socks - WAS: Magic Loop

slery slerythema at insightbb.com
Sun Sep 5 19:42:39 UTC 2010

Have actually had a look into this since I make socks with sock yarn so they
can be worn in your shoes. You have to cast-on each sock independently. Then
you either use Magic Loop or Two Circulars to knit them. It is not at all
like double knitting, there is no knit one stitch and slip one. Socks are
always divided into a top and bottom half. Half the stitches are on the top
and half on the bottom. Picture your big circular for magic loop you start
knitting the bottom half of sock one. Once that has been knitted over to
your right needle, you slide up sock two. Now you knit the bottom half of
sock two. Once that is on the right needle you are ready for sock two top
half. Now you knit the top half of sock two and when it is on the right
needle you slide up sock one and you knit the top half of it.

You do have to use two balls of yarn so using ball one knit bottom of sock
one, drop the yarn, pick up yarn from ball two, knit bottom of sock two,
knit top of sock two, drop the yarn, pick up ball one yarn, knit the top of
sock one.

I decided that this was more complicated than I wanted so I use two
circulars to knit my socks independently.

The two socks at once are good for people that use a pattern and also for
people that have a problem with second sock syndrome (they get bored on the
second sock and don't finish).

I hope this explanation helped.

Cindy S.