[Nfb-krafters-korner] FW: National Federation of the Blind Eligible to Receive Grant of $250, 000

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Tue Sep 7 18:59:44 UTC 2010

Dear Friends and Sibs,

Please read the message below and, well, here we go again. I hope all my
sibs and friends will send the tiny text message to Pepsi's charity
foundation every day of September to help us land Pepsi's money in our
coffers to pay for the blind teen program we will run in 2011.  With all
the harm Pepsi's highly sugared, fattening product is doing to our
nation's youth, wouldn't it be good to help it do some good for some of
them?

Promote Access to Science Education for Blind Students:

Vote every day for the NFB Youth Slam in the Pepsi Refresh Project
<http://www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam> , or (easiest way) text
101913 to Pepsi (73774).

I've already seen good results from the first two we ran.  If we get
this money for the teen program then we can use the money we did not
have to take out of NFB's treasury to work to increase our other
programs that need our ingenuity and knowledge-like programs for newly
blind seniors and blinded vets.

Cordially,

Lorraine Rovig

Assistant to Patti Chang, Esq.

Chairperson, NFB Scholarship Committee

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

      at Jernigan Place

Office:  (410) 659-9314, x2415;

E-mail:  scholarships at nfb.org;

Website:  www.nfb.org/scholarships

Promote Access to Science Education for Blind Students:

Vote every day for the NFB Youth Slam in the Pepsi Refresh Project
<http://www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam> , or (easiest way) text
101913 to Pepsi (73774).

________________________________

National Federation of the Blind Eligible to Receive Grant of $250,000

Urges Everyone to Vote for the 2011 NFB Youth Slam in the Pepsi Refresh
Project

Baltimore, Maryland (September 1, 2010): The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB), the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the
United States, is in the running for a grant award of $250,000 from the
Pepsi Refresh project, which awards over one million dollars each month
to nonprofits and businesses based upon an online and text message
voting competition.  The grant would support the 2011 NFB Youth Slam, a
five-day, interactive science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM)
academy designed to empower blind high school students to explore STEM
subjects and demonstrate that the blind can participate in the same
fields as their sighted peers. To vote for the NFB Youth Slam, voters
may text the number 101913 to Pepsi (73774) and visit
www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam
<http://www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam> .  Voters are encouraged
to vote daily throughout the month of September.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "We are pleased to be in the running for a grant that will help
fund the 2011 NFB Youth Slam.  The importance of programs like the Youth
Slam that engage and inspire blind youth cannot be overstated.
Unfortunately society has very low expectations of blind students,
particularly in areas like scientific study that are falsely believed to
require sight.  By voting for the National Federation of the Blind in
the Pepsi Refresh project, you will help us change this false view of
blindness.  By voting for us, you are submitting a vote of confidence in
the abilities of blind students across America."

The 2011 Youth Slam, to be held in the summer of 2011, will bring
together one hundred fifty blind high school students from across the
nation.  The students will participate in five days of inspiring and
engaging activities conducted by the National Federation of the Blind
Jernigan Institute and other partners, including blind STEM experts
currently employed at universities and government agencies such as NASA.
The purpose of this gathering is to encourage the blind youth of America
to explore science subjects and careers while at the same time
increasing their confidence in their abilities as blind people. The
program will demonstrate to these students-as well as to educators and
parents-that simple accommodations allow the blind to fully participate
in these subjects typically believed to be dependent upon sight.

The 2011 NFB Youth Slam is eligible to receive votes in the Pepsi
Refresh project throughout the month of September.  Voters are urged to
vote daily in three ways:

1.	Text Message: Simply put the number 101913 into the body of a
text, and send that text to 73774.  (Standard text-messaging rates
apply.)
2.	Go to www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam
<http://www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam> , click the link to
vote, and then choose the log in using Facebook option.  Once you're
successfully logged in, click the vote button on our page again and the
vote link will disappear and you'll have logged your vote!
3.	Go to www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam
<http://www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam> , click the link to
vote, and then choose the sign in directly with Pepsi option.  Once
again, click the link to vote and the vote button will disappear and
you'll have logged your vote!

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind and the
Pepsi Refresh project, please visit www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/> .

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is
the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people
in the United States.   The NFB improves blind people's lives through
advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the
blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In January
2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, the first research and training center in the United States
for the blind led by the blind.