[Nfb-krafters-korner] I need some help here

Ramona Walhof rwnfbi at q.com
Fri Sep 10 19:05:25 UTC 2010

Linda, I took a beginning pottery class a couple of years ago.  I would love
to do some more, but when I get some other things done.

However, I was the only blind student, and the teacher was very relaxed
about it.  I can't remember all the terminology but we learned to flatten
the clay and make a slab pot.  Then we learned to flatten it with a thing
like an automated rolling pin.  We learned to wind a rope around the pot to
build it up, I think that was a coyle pot.  And some other things.  Of
course, the end was on the potter's wheel, and the hardest part was
centering the pot.  However, I loved the class.  The finishing was by
dunking the pots, and mine came out as good as other people's.  Some added
detail work, but I left mine alone.

The reason I go through all of this is just to tell you that you know the
techniques.  Some students will want to feel what you are doing with your
hands, but your explanations will also be important.  You will need to check
their work with your hands, and they will need to know that they can do
amazing things with their hands.  Some people don't like to get their hands
dirty.  They have to get past that to be good potters, but you know that
better than I do.  You may not want to cover as much stuff as fast as we
did, especially if your students are not aggressive with their hands.  Some
blind people have not been encouraged to make as good use of their hands as
others, and it makes a lot of difference in their dexterity and success with
crafts and lots of other things.

I think you should regard this as a great opportunity.  Be sure to let us
know how it goes.  Oh yes, you might give some thought to the maximum number
you can work with.  Four might be a good number, depending on how much time
you have and how much you want to cover.  I think a class is better than
tutoring, because the comments of the other students help each student to
gage their own work.  They may not be good judges of what they are doing.
If you have a sighted assistant, you can probably work with more students,
but it will work best for you to be in charge.

Ramona