[Nfb-krafters-korner] blind child with residual vision in a sewingclass

Ramona Walhof rwnfbi at q.com
Fri Sep 10 19:26:21 UTC 2010

        Ed and Patty, there is an article I wrote about sewing in a Kernel
book that is probably better than the one I first wrote.  Maybe you sent her
both.  The biggest challenge may be getting the student to believe her hands
work better than her eyes, but they probably will if she really gives it a
chance.

If she gets so she can thread the needles, both on the sewing machine and
hand needles, and guide the fabric in the sewing machine, she can do
everything else.  I think the article I wrote deals with cutting around
tissue paper patterns all right.  But this girl may be fine doing that
visually.  The teacher just needs to relax.  I would be glad to talk with
her if that is helpful.  My phone number is 208-338-1595.

Here is a story that is different, but relevant.  My sister really does not
like to sew very well.  However, when she was student teaching in Colorado,
there was a blind junior high student named Julie Deden enrolled in a sewing
class at the school.  The home ec teacher and Julie were both frustrated,
and they called Susan in because they had no other ideas about what to do.
Susan taught Julie how to thread the machine and guide the material.  That
was all it took.  Julie never knew that Susan really didn't like to sew
until maybe twenty years later when she told the story at the meeting where
I happened to be.  I like the story because it shows so well how attitude
counts so much.  Susan had done a little sewing and been around others who
did more, so she knew what to do, and it worked.    My guess is that others
on this list have had similar experiences.

Ramona