[Nfb-krafters-korner] "falling Leaves" with Kids

Gary Brewer gary.brewer at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 02:56:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

Well, it is well into September and a few leaves have started falling here.
And our Monday night chat got leaves falling everywhere. That's with the
knit along dish cloth patern.

So here are a few leafy ideas for you.

Collecting leaves is one of those things kids and their loved ones have been
doing from, probably, the beginning of time.  Keeping them takes a bit of
doig. But nothing we can't do easily.

First of all:  take leaves that are still full of life and press them in a
book.  It is always fun to come across a pretty fall leave while doing
research in January or February.  What? You don't have many big books
anymore? That is beginning to be a problem. With all the internet searches
we forget about our resource books.

Well, ironing leaves between two  pieces of waxed paper is another option.
Oh, no, you don't have waxed paper?  Well, luckily the stores still carry it
and you will need it to lay out all those Christmas cookies.

I like to frame the leaves while still in the waxed paper and hang the art
in a window.

You can also tear off the waxed paper after it has cooled from the ironing
and the leaf will have a think coat of wax to protect it.

If you choose to leave the leaves in the waxed paper you can add some crayon
shavings inbetween the paper along with the leaves before ironing to add
color and fun to the project.

Here is one of my favorite projects.

Single use leaf hand soaps.

I found this idea at About.com. I have done it or a couple of years now. I
see that it is in their newsletter again this week.

You will need

Silk leaves, Craft stoes carry them

Clear melt and pour soap

Scents that remind you of fall

Waxed paper

A glass container big enough to put the leaves in

The leaves you buy should be a non-run color.  You can test one before
dipping in the soap by simply getting the leaf wet.  Cut the leaves from
their stems

Melt your melt and pour soap in the microwave. 4 ounces should be enough.

Add the scent of your choice.

Dip the leaves into the warm soap and coat with sooap mixture. Be sure  and
let the leaf drip off over the container for a few seconds.

Place the leaves on waxed paper and let dry.

Place in a pretty dish or silly Halloween container by your sink.

I haven't found many people using my soaps but they are so pretty and keep
the bathroom or kitchen smelling so good.

When my children had to  make leaf collections for school I found that
attaching them to Braille paper by covering the leaf with clear contact
paper  was a good way to show the collection at school.  There was plenty of
room to write about the leaf below or above the plastic covering and I could
even put a Braille name on he page.

We tied the booklet together with yarn and sent it off to school.

Truth is, I was waiting for that book to come home to use with my day care
children. But the Teacher asked to keep it.  She pulled it out just before
my youngest left the school for high school.

Enjoy this fall weather

Henrietta