[Nfb-krafters-korner] First for Spinning?

Dixie blueherons at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 20 13:01:19 UTC 2010

Spinning wheels come in many different sizes.  The very smallest would take
about a 2 foot square of space on the floor and be about 3 feet high.  The
normal usual ones run more about 4 feet high and take up maybe a 3 1/2 by 2
1/2 foot area on the floor.   Then the Great Wheel can be more along the
lines of 6 feet tall and 5 feet long by 2 feet wide.   The Great wheel uses
a completely different technique to spin.

An inexpensive wheel to get started with is called the Babe.
http://www.babesfibergarden.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&opt
ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1
  It is made of, of all things PCV pipe.  It is very durable, and fairly
inexpensive for a wheel.  Wheels run anywhere from $200 to $6000 or more for
custom made hand carved specialty wood wheels.

The wheel I have was a little over $800.   it is a portable wheel in that
the wheel will fold down into the framework for traveling.  I wanted
something I could take with me to our spinning group.
http://www.majacraft.co.nz/wheels/rose.php

My sister spins on a drop spindle. That of course takes up no room and will
fit in the drawer.   I do not know how to spin with that technique, but I do
know it is much less expensive to buy a drop spindle than investing in a
wheel.
Finally, another good source for all things spinning is
http://www.woolery.com/
Dixie