[Nfb-krafters-korner] stick weaving

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon Sep 20 17:23:30 UTC 2010

Hi Theresa,

Here are the spects my sister and I use for stick weaving:

5/16 or 1/4 inch dowels

8 inches long

rounded pencil point on one end and a hole in the other

Now, for the end with the hole:

Think of that end as square and slightly flatten two opposite sides of the
dowel so two sides are flat and the other two sides are rounded.  The hole
needs to be large enough so you can easily thread your yarn through it.  We
found that if you drilled one hole with a small drummal drill that you could
lengthen the opening with a fine rat tail file or drill two holes on top of
each other and then file them into a longer opening.

Finishing:

We spray varnished my two sets after first sanding, whiping down with a damp
cloth and then re-sanding.  however, this did not leave quite as smooth of
surface as I'd hoped.  I think it would be better if you just did the
sanding like I mentioned before and leave it at that.  You would still have
a smooth surface and that would allow the wrapped yarn to slide down the
sticks as you go.  If for some reason you need to sand a ruff place every
now or then, you won't mess up the finish.

Just remember, don't wrap too tight and it is better to have your threaded
stick strands too long than not long enough.

Susan R.

dogwoodfarm at verizon.net