[Nfb-krafters-korner] Various types of crochet hooks

Zimmer, Cindy cindy.zimmer at nebraska.gov
Mon Sep 20 20:24:00 UTC 2010

Yea Dixie!!!  Congrats!

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Dixie
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:41 AM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists'
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Various types of crochet hooks

Interesting.  I have to say I prefer the Susan Bates to the Boye.  The
reason is the shape of the hook.  The Bates has a nice point on the head
that easily works its way into the place I need to insert the hook.  It also
seems to have a more flush, or tucked in   hook opening making it slip back
through the stitches easily for me.
Maybe since I have been crocheting for a long time those features make my
work go faster as I am less concerned about dropping my stitches.

I do though plan to look at some of the bamboo and wood hooks next month
when I go to the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival.

As for yarn skeins, I choose to wind the skein into a ball before using it.
I then use an outside pull ball which I place into a Ziploc bag which I have
cut one bottom corner out of.  I feed the working end of the yarn through
that cut corner and close up the bag.  My yarn stays German Shedder hair
free, (smile! And doesn't roll away on me.  It also means I get many fewer
tangles.  I find for myself that with a center pull when the ball collapses
on itself when getting near the end of the ball it can often tangle.

Dixie who is off to the spinning competition at the fair!  Oh, and I
received a first for the skein I submitted for judging.