[Nfb-krafters-korner] FQ: Crafts on the go

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 10:46:02 UTC 2011

When I am making a baby blanket or other medium sized item of light or
expensive yarn, I carry the project in a pillowcase inside my project tote.
As the item begins to get long enough to keep it in the pillow case while I
work on it I clip it to the pillow case.  Let's see if I can explain this.
I use 2 of the large paper clips that are made up of a triangular metal
section at the top which is black and 2 hinged wire pieces that you fold
back over the triangle piece and pinch to open the black metal triangle so
that you can secure the paper or material as in this case.  When you release
the wire pieces the stuff you want to hold is secured by the triangle.  I
place the project inside the pillowcase and position the project so that the
point that is approximately 6-8 inches or more below the needles is lined up
approximately with the center point of the long edges of the pillowcase.  I
then grab the project at that point from the outside of the pillowcase and
place the clip on the outside of the pillowcase at that point.  I repeat
this on the other edge of the project and pillowcase.  When I am working on
the project I just fold back the open edge of the pillowcase and I am ready
to knit.  Every 6 inches or so I have to adjust the clips.  I also use point
protectors to keep my project secure on the needles during transit.  This
pillowcase technique also keeps my working yarn from jumping on to the
floor.  Caution does need to be taken to not clip your project to the
pillowcase that causes too much pulling on your project.  Depending on your
yarn and your pattern, you might not be able to secure the project to the
pillow case until you have completed a significant amount of the project.

I know this sounds rather complicated, but it really is not.

Annette
.