[Nfb-krafters-korner] Leather working

Neva Fairchild nevafairchild at verizon.net
Fri Apr 22 01:16:23 UTC 2011

Hi Lucy! I don't know much about leather working, but I understand that
Tandy has lots of kits that people with vision loss use to make leather
items. I have made a couple of simple wallets and used a prepunched kit. I
would think that the embossing process would be fairly tactile, but he would
need to develop a marking system for the tools he uses to emboss different
shapes. Certainly the sewing is rather easy on the prepunched items. To
punch holes himself he would need a template like the one I use for paper
piercing. It has grids of holes at different distances, depending on what
you want to do. He would also need templates made out of stiff plastic to
cut the leather into shapes. I have seen quilt block patterns that might
work for some basic shapes. I assume you cut leather with a rotary cutter,
but even if it is cut with a knife like cutter, the thick plastic templates
would work. You can give him my number if he would like to ask questions.

Neva Fairchild
214-438-5316 work-days
972 416-7039 home-evening