[Nfb-krafters-korner] flowers and arranging

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 18:18:00 UTC 2011

My husband is so cute, when he cuts flowers from our yard he cuts the stems
the same length.  Maybe on a low table this would look nice as you would
look down to see the colors, smile, but not on a dining room or desktop
table, smile.  The domed way is a good way to think about arranging flowers
as Terry said high in the middle and lower flowers towards the ends. I cut
my flowers all different lengths.  Then arrange them so the taller flowers
ar in the back and sides and the smaller flowers are lower in the middle
with ssmaller flowers in the front.  Now I will do a domed shaped
arrangement if the arrangement will be seen from many angles.

I always cut my flowers just at the ends and then put them in warm water.
They seem to stay longer.  I watch the water levels and add to the water,
unless the water gets smelly, then I change out the water.

Now there is a better way of saving flowers which I am told anyway, involves
hammering the ends of the stems to preserve the flowers.  Friends of mine
sware flowers stay nice for weeks, but I personally have never tried this
method.

The less fussy you are with arrangements the better they look.  Try to get
as many flowers readily touched and not covered by a taller flower and you
have it, smile.  Also please remember to pull out dead flowers gently as to
not disturb  the other flowers a lot.  Peddles that feel dry, shrink, or now
feel papery are probably dead or heading that way.

To treat myself I would go to a local florist and buy flowers for my
apartment and to share with my elderly neighbors. I enjoyed the flowers in
my home.

Becky and Jake