[Nfb-krafters-korner] [Bulk] Re: weight loss and Talismans

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Tue Aug 23 15:57:45 UTC 2011

No they are not made of clay.
They are entirely made of beads, sewn stitch by stitch into a base material.
I use Lacey's Stiff Stuff.  After I do the beadworked surface, then I have
to apply a stable backing to the beadworked piece -  I use a quilters
template material for this. It is then covered with Ultra Suede. Aft the
three layers are put together. then the edges are cut to 1/16 of  an inch
from the beadworked area.  Then, I have to work the edges with beadwork, do
the fringes, or whatever I am doing to finish the piece off.

Encrusted beadwork is very very tedious and tiny work. The entire surface is
done with patterning of the beading, different stitches, and colors, etc.
The encrusting takes place as I work layer over layer of the beading
surface, it becomes dense and heavy.  It is for people who are completely
MAD, because sane people would never even think of doing this kind of work!
lol

The talisman goes back to ancient traditions, something magical and
spiritual that heals, protects, gives insight, or something else the person
seeks.  The stones are chosen for their meanings...the agate was used in an
ancient warriors shield to give protection from harm, and to bring victory
over the enemy...every gemstone has a historic meaning - you can
read/consult _The Crystal Bible_ for information on this. That is my guide
for my projects - Each piece has a special sacred meaning.

Lynda River Woman